Villa Maya Retreat
The villa you chose is no longer available for rental from us but we have a portfolio of Elite Havens in various locations around South East Asia for you to choose from. Alternatively feel free to send us an enquiry and it'll be our pleasure to help you find the perfect villa for your next holiday.
A holiday here includes
Looking to step off life’s treadmill and slip away from the crowds for some sensory re-sourcing and tranquil breathing space? The one dilemma facing you on arrival at the aptly named Villa Maya Retreat is this: how will you ever leave?
Villa Maya Retreat rests at the base of a gorge on the banks of the Penet River in the pretty village of Cepaka on Bali’s south-western coast. This utterly private paradise is all about time out, and time together – for both relaxation and socialising. The tropical architecture and interiors pay tribute to traditional Balinese design, with open-sided alang-alang thatched living pavilions facing the 12-metre green-stone swimming pool, and six individual bedroom pavilions – three with plunge pools – thoughtfully laid out to maximise privacy and views. There are loads of outdoor living spaces among the lush jungle gardens too: after lunch on the dining deck, retreat to the shade of the poolside bale, enjoy a massage in the large curtain-swathed garden bale, or sip pre-dinner drinks on the lounge terrace overhanging the river.
Maya is ideal for families and groups of friends looking for a get-away-from-it-all place in a stunning location with lots of social space for partying and quiet corners for private time. While there’s no reason to leave – everything you need is at your fingertips and an experienced chef is on hand to prepare and serve delicious home-cooked Asian and Western meals – a driver is on standby for those eager to explore the island or scout Seminyak’s hip restaurants, bars and shops a 45 minute drive away. Beyond the villa, Cepaka village offers guests a glimpse of rural and religious traditions unchanged across generations.
This is a place to breathe in the essence of Bali, leaving you refreshed and rejuvenated for your return home.
Exotic jungle and river gorge location
Six enormous bedrooms
1 swimming pool and 3 plunge pools
"What a wonderful experience we had! You made our stay full of lovely moments and your kindness is for sure a part of it. Excellent staff, wonderful buildings, and garden landscape breathtaking. High class hospitality and staff. We really had a memorable time here and hope to return.
Real time availability
- Early bird enjoys up to 15% discount when booking 150 days in advance.*
- Last minute bookings enjoy up to 10% discount when checking in before 11-May-2019.
- Open-sided, fan-cooled dining pavilion /living area overlooking the swimming pool
- 10-seater solid wood dining table
- Fully equipped kitchen with stainless steel worktops and appliances
- TV lounge housed in large pavilion, with 42-inch satellite TV and DVD player, sofas and good collection of magazines and DVDs
- Indonesian artifacts and stone statues throughout
- Lush gardens shaded by tropical rainforest
- Picturesque river bank setting
- 12 x 5-metre green stone swimming pool, surrounded by timber deck with sun loungers shaded by white ceremonial umbrellas
- Al fresco dining area overlooking the pool
- Traditional-style bales and secret garden hangouts
- Atmospheric outdoor furnished terrace overhanging the river
- Entrance to the villa by stone stairs carved into a river gorge, alongside a trickling waterfall
- Secluded setting with private garden
- 5-meter plunge pool and timber sundeck overlooking the river
- Semi outdoor bathroom with terrazzo bathtub and rain shower made from black volcanic stone
- Walk-in dressing room
- Small TV lounge
- Sheltered patio with daybed.
- Air Conditioned
- Three spacious thatch-roofed sleeping pavilions are nestled along the riverbank, with wonderful jungle views
- Indoor sitting areas with rattan sofa and marble topped coffee table
- Glass doors leading to outdoor terrace
- Semi outdoor bathrooms set into stone cliff face with twin vanities and lava stone rain showers
- One suite with terrazzo bath tub, TV and DVD player. The other two equipped with their own music system
- Air Conditioned
Upper Terrace Suites
- Two additional suites are set higher up with scenic valley views
- Plunge pools surrounded by timber deck with sun loungers
- Black rattan sofas with white cushions
- En suite bathrooms with tubs and rain showers – one is semi-open air, the other totally enclosed
- Air Conditioned
Villa Maya Retreat is situated in a jungle-clad river gorge close to the village of Cepaka in Bali’s Tabanan Regency, known as Bali’s ‘rice bowl’ due to its vast terraced rice fields. This quaint village bordering the Penet River is a rare example of a traditional Balinese community untouched by tourism and the rapid development to the south of the island. Villa guests are accorded a privileged insight into the agricultural, religious and daily life of the friendly villagers. Just 12 kilometres away is the famed Tanah Lot sea temple while the nearest surf beaches, including Echo Beach, are about eight kilometres from the villa.
Things to doVilla Maya Retreat’s manager will have a wealth of information about nearby places of interest and will help arrange transport and make any bookings required. Do also ask the staff about the local area. Many of them live nearby and will be able to give an interesting insight into some of the fascinating aspects of Bali life.
In the meantime, here is a taste of the many and varied activities on offer within reach of the villa.
- Villa Maya Retreat is close to the famous temple at Tanah Lot (12 km), although in peak season a few too many tourists may transform a sunset visit into more of a heaving photo opportunity than a moving experience. Visiting early in the morning (8-9am) provides a better idea of the power of the location and the chance to see it undisturbed apart from perhaps an offering ceremony.
- A nice sunset alternative is to head down to Echo Beach (8km) where a number of cafes offer good sunset views and cold beer. Note that the beach here is dark volcanic sand and the waters are better suited to surfing, having a pronounced swell and rip, rather than children’s swimming. Hotel Tugu, a very stylish and eclectic boutique hotel a few minutes further down the coast is also a good sunset spot.
- Fashionistas, trendies and shop-a-holics should hot-foot it down to Seminyak, Bali’s most cosmopolitan enclave. Here, you can indulge for hours in the glut of stylish, chic boutiques. There is a wide choice of fine dining, mid range, and cheap ‘n cheerful restaurants in Seminyak too: fine dining venues include Sarong, the famous Ku Dé Ta, Mama San, La Lucciola, Sardine and Métis.
- Drive westwards to explore the charming Tabanan Regency, revealing terraced rice fields of emerald green, volcanic mountains and black-sand beaches dotted with fishing communities. Or head north to explore the volcanic lakes near the mountain town of Bedugul, including Lake Bratan with its photogenic and stunningly positioned Pura Ulun Danu – one of Bali’s most important temples.
- The most exclusive Bali trekking tour promises breath-taking vistas and heart-warming encounters while supporting sustainable social change in the once-forgotten villages of Muntigunung. Elite Havens is a proud partner of Muntigunung Community Social Enterprise.
- Bali Treetop Adventure Park is near the town of Bedugal in northern central Bali (next to Lake Bratan). Five adventure circuits, with heights ranging from two to 20 metres, challenge all level and ages on suspended bridges, spider nets, Tarzan jumps and 12 flying foxes.
- Explore the scenic rice-field landscape and rural villages; a great way to get under the skin of the ‘real’ Bali. Stop off at a local warung (café) to sample some basic Balinese fare or cool off with a cold drink.
- Covering 3.8 hectares of tropical parkland in Kuta, Waterbom Bali has 16 water slides (including The Climax with its 360 degree loop) to entertain the young and the young at heart. A great family day out, but go early to beat the crowds.
Last viewed villas
Please sign in to add this villas to your Favourite
Create a shortlist of your favourites -
save them for later, make comparisons, and share with travel companions