Villa Pooja Kanda
The villa you chose is no longer available for rental from us but we have a portfolio of Elite Havens in various locations around South East Asia for you to choose from. Alternatively feel free to send us an enquiry and it'll be our pleasure to help you find the perfect villa for your next holiday.
A holiday here includes
This majestic five-bedroom villa stands proudly on a verdant hillside just inland from Sri Lanka’s beautiful southern coast. Exceptionally spacious, private and tranquil, Villa Pooja Kanda is wrapped by a two-acre tropical garden with an extensive lawn at the front. Borders overflow with flowering shrubs and exotic foliage, and this tamed wonderland makes a paradise for wildlife and birds.
Designed in the Dutch colonial style, Villa Pooja Kanda blends the new with the old. Imposing pillared verandas furnished with rattan loungers spill onto an emerald lawn and lead into airy living and dining areas through elegantly arched doors. Two of the bedrooms are on the ground floor while the remaining three offer garden views from the upper floor.
The villa’s jungle swimming pool is blissfully inviting, as are the cabinets of well-thumbed books and the air-conditioned TV room sporting an oversized cushioned daybed. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff team; whether you need a tuk-tuk to explore the local sights, a sumptuous seafood barbecue or a special birthday surprise, they will make it happen.
Groups of friends and families will love the spaciousness of Villa Pooja Kanda, which comes with plenty of children’s facilities including a pool safety fence, two extra beds, a cot, a variety of games and other essential baby equipment. Even if you come as a big family group, the villa’s roominess allows each generation ample space to relax and unwind.
Villa Pooja Kanda is located in a rural village a few kilometres inland from Habaraduwa, with many attractions close by. The villa makes a blissful base for enjoying the region’s golden beaches, the serenity of Koggala Lake and the southern tea plantations, while the striking UNESCO-listed Galle Fort is only a 20-minute drive away. Activities include cycling Galle’s hinterland, scuba diving and seasonal whale watching.
Luscious garden alive with wildlife
Verandas make the most of the views
Private hilltop location
Delightful ‘jungle’ swimming pool
Local village vibe
"We have all greatly enjoyed our stay at this beautiful serene place. The staff have been quite exceptional - going above and beyond to make our stay a memorable one. We will all have very lovely memories of our time spent here and hope that perhaps that one day we may return again with our extended family. Love and best wishes to everyone."
Real time availability
- Early bird enjoys up to 15% discount when booking 120 days in advance.
- Last minute bookings enjoy up to 15% discount when checking in before 25-Feb-2020.
- Living room with multiple sets of elegant arched doorways spilling onto the front veranda, furnished with sofa, day beds and table with four chairs
- Fan-cooled dining room with wooden dinning table for eight
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Air conditioned TV room with built in sofas and 42-inch Satellite TV
- Swimming pool (10 x 7m) fringed by lush foliage, veranda and deck chairs
- Al fresco, glass-topped dining table for six on back veranda
- Billowing gardens filled with frolicking monkeys and birdsong
- Small outdoor dining table in verdant jungle setting
- Stone steps leading to a high rocky outcrop with built-in seat
- Wide, pillared verandas encircling both floors of the villa
- Located on the ground floor
- This room is interconnected to Bedroom 2, making these rooms an ideal family suite
- Super king-size bed draped in mosquito netting
- Lush garden views
- Furnished with wardrobe and sofa
- Ensuite with hot water shower and bathtub
- Air conditioned
- Located on the ground floor interconnected to master bedroom
- Queen-size four-poster bed draped in mosquito netting
- Lush garden views
- Air conditioned
- Ensuite bathroom with hot water shower
First Floor Bedrooms
- Three air conditioned bedrooms are located on the first floor
- Four-poster beds
- Encircled by shady balcony
- Light and airy with arched doors framing serene garden views
- Air conditioned
- With twin sinks and hot water showers
Things to doYour villa supervisor has a wealth of information about nearby places of interest and will help arrange transport and make any bookings required. Do also ask the staff about the local area. Many of them live nearby and will be able to give an interesting insight into some of the fascinating aspects of Sri Lankan life.
In the meantime, here’s a taste of the many and varied activities on offer within reach of Villa Pooja Kanda
- Head to Koggala or Habaraduwa beach for a long walk along seemingly endless golden sands.
- Take a late afternoon boat trip atop the glorious Koggala Lagoon to look for birds, visit spice gardens, watch fishermen and experience the sun setting over the water whilst meandering this peaceful waterway.
- The late Martin Wickramasinghe, a famous Sri Lankan author, was once a resident of Koggala. You can now visit his old home in town, which has been made into an interesting folk museum.
- In nearby Habaraduwa is a turtle hatchery that the kids will love. For a small fee you can admire the resident turtles and even watch as the hatchlings are released into the sea.
- Head to the beach. There are many idyllic beaches within a 30-minute drive of the villa, and it’s hard to resist the irresistible draw of the warm turquoise sea.
- Experience the living museum that is Galle Fort by taking a relaxing guided wander around the charming backstreets of this UNESCO listed fortress; stop and chat with locals, admire the fort’s many heritage buildings, visit the growing collection of boutiques and finish off by watching life playing out on top of the ramparts at sunset.
- Take a trip into Galle town to experience the multi-sensorial spectacle of the fish, fruit and vegetable markets and browse the colourful roadside wares of peddlers on its buzzing Main Street.
- Embark on a scenic bicycle ride through the emerald green paddy fields of Galle’s hinterland with Idle Tours. Enjoy the ride at your own pace and gain a unique perspective of village life. End up at the beach with a glorious cool down swim.
- Yatagala Temple, just inland from Unawatuna, is an ancient Buddhist temple that’s best visited on a full moon holiday when white clothed devotees flock here clutching prayer flags and bunches of flowers. Another notable local temple is at Kathaluwa.
- Around 10 minutes’ drive from Villa Pooja Kanda is a tea factory, whose tea leaves are the closest of any in Sri Lanka to the sea. Handunugoda Tea Factory is not only famous for its black tea but also for its white tea, which retails as some of the world’s most expensive tea. Tours of the factory include a tea tasting session and cake.
- Go whale watching! Just a half hour drive from Villa Pooja Kanda is Mirissa where boats depart every morning during the season (November until April) for whale and dolphin spotting tours. It’s thought to be the best place in the world to sight blue whales. Enroute, stop at Ahangama to photograph Sri Lanka’s famous stilt fishermen.
- Eat out! Excellent local restaurants include the luxurious Fortress Hotel, the homely Italian-owned WB and Cantaloupe Aqua’s top Thai menu. Wijeya Beach Restaurant, near Unawatuna, is a popular spot with expats whose rooftop bar is the place for spectacular sundowners over the sea.
Last viewed villas
Please sign in to add this villas to your Favourite
Create a shortlist of your favourites -
save them for later, make comparisons, and share with travel companions