The villa you chose is no longer available for rental from us but we have a portfolio of Elite Havens in various locations around South East Asia for you to choose from. Alternatively feel free to send us an enquiry and it'll be our pleasure to help you find the perfect villa for your next holiday.
Ocean's Edge is all about nature and epic seclusion. Set within some eight hectares of palm-shaded parkland and, as its name suggests, overlooking a gaping wave-sloshed bay, this fully staffed, four-bedroom villa is a good few kilometres off the main southern coastal highway and still further from the commercial township of Tangalle. Its situation, close to a couple of bird-filled wetlands, the island's only marine turtle sanctuary and three of Sri Lanka's most prominent national parks - Yala, Uda Walawe and Bundala - promises an idyllic base for escapists and nature lovers.
Peace is exactly what the owner of Ocean’s Edge was after in his tireless search for land to build this villa; however what wasn't immediately obvious to him was that this deserted beach harboured visiting marine turtles who'd come to lay their eggs on the undisturbed sandy shore. This became a clear indication - if ever one was needed - of his success in finding a location that was genuinely serene. There's really nothing quite like this magical turtle phenomenon. You have to admire the dedication of these gentle giants lumbering onto the moonlit beach and the bravery of their hatchlings bursting from the sand, scuttling towards the surf and becoming uncertainly licked up by the sea.
Ocean's Edge is a frame for enjoying this tranquillity and these views. There's a lovely T-shaped swimming pool, and bedrooms and living rooms spill out onto breezy verandas and balconies that wrap around the villa. With intimate sitting spots aplenty, a colossal garden and an extensive remote beach to explore, Ocean's Edge is a refreshing escape from the distractions of the modern world. A blazing star-filled sky is testament to the villa's isolation and this solitude goes all the way to reinvigorate time-starved bonds between families and friends.
This haven includes
Rates and availability
- Stroll along the sandy swathe of beach to the front of the villa, collecting shells as you soak in the serenity of this secluded palm-fringed location.
- Explore the villa’s generous 23-acre garden; a parkland oasis of coconut palms and coastal foliage adored by parrots, kingfishers and peacocks.
- Make for the Kalametiya Bird Sanctuary and enjoy a sunset punt on the lagoon with one of the local fishermen as the sky slowly turns a rich red.
- Head to the mysterious Ussangoda whose red barren earth is believed to be the result of a meteorite hitting this area years ago. The cliff top vistas out to sea from the coast that flanks this parkland are spectacular.
- The neighbouring village of Rekawa is home to the island’s only marine turtle sanctuary. Out of the five species of endangered marine turtle present in Sri Lanka, four are regular visitors who make their way onto the beach at night to lay their eggs in the sand; a sensational moonlit spectacle. Come here for nightly turtle watches where you might also see baby turtles hatching and making their perilous journey to the sea.
- Visit two giant Buddha statues at Weherahena and Wewurukannala; the former offers you the chance to actually climb up and into the Buddha’s head to get a bird’s eye view of the temple complex.
- The reverent rock temple at Mulkirigala must not be missed. Come here for murals, cavernous chambers and incredible 360-degree views from its summit.
- On the way to Mulkirigala we recommend you stop en route at the brass making village of Angulmaduwa where you can witness the craftsmen in action and buy yourself a unique souvenir to take home.
- Visit the Maduwanwalla Palace, made up of a number of formerly opulent buildings that now lay in relative ruin.
- Whale and dolphin watching trips embark from Mirissa Harbour and will delight the whole family (trips operate between November and April); combine your trip with a visit to Dondra lighthouse, Matara’s forts and Mirissa Beach where you can also go sailing.
- Go on safari! Bundala – a park famous for its crocs and birdlife - is located within easy reach. Safaris to Uda Walawe (famed for its elephants) and Yala – renowned for a wider slice of wildlife, particularly leopards and bears – can be done as morning or afternoon trips from the villa.
- Worth the drive is the Handunugoda Tea Factory in Ahangama, whose tea bushes are the closest of any in Sri Lanka to the sea. Famous not only for its unique black tea but also for its white tea, the world’s most expensive variety. Tours of the factory include a tea tasting session and a slice of cake.
LEAVE THE PLANNING TO US
Shake off the stress of holiday planning. Let the Elite Concierge take care of all your bookings and arrangements, from transport, tours and restaurant reservations, to any special requests for your arrival. We’re here to make your holiday experience extraordinary.
- Colonially-inspired interiors filled with antiques
- Plethora of living and dining areas perfectly situated to take in the ocean views
- Wide, spacious hallway with built-in sofas
- Deep living veranda at front with 10-seater dining table and rattan chairs
- Covered veranda at back with planters chairs, table with bench seating and ceiling fans
- Elongated, air-conditioned TV lounge with 42-inch satellite TV /DVD player and white sofa.
- Fully equipped kitchen with black granite counters and dark wood cabinets.
- Delightful jade-green swimming pool with ceramic-tile decking and sunbeds
- 23-acre tropical garden filled with coconut palms, coastal foliage, and an abundance of birds and butterflies
- Quiet, shell scattered beach ideal for walking
Master Bedroom (First floor)
- Generous air-conditioned room with queen-size four-poster bed draped in soft mosquito netting
- Oriental wardrobes and comfortable sofa
- Arched doorways spilling onto furnished balcony
- Ensuite bathroom with shower
- Entrance is via a small room furnished with a daybed and TV, and with its own bathroom (with tub)
Guest Room 1 (First floor)
- Air-conditioned room furnished with a four-poster queen-size bed and a four-poster single bed
- Interconnects with the master bedroom
- Oriental wardrobes
- Arched doorways opening onto the rear balcony overlooking the swimming pool and gardens
- Ensuite bathroom comes with twin hot water showers
Guest Room 2 (First floor)
- Air-conditioned room with antique four-poster queen-size bed
- Views of garden and sea through arched doorways
- Ensuite bathroom with hot water shower.
Guest Room 3 (Ground floor)
- Air-conditioned room with antique four-poster queen-size bed draped in soft mosquito netting
- Equipped with a single divan that could sleep a child
- Ensuite bathroom with hot water shower
Ocean’s Edge has a suggestion menu of delicious home-made meals ranging from light salads and soups to grilled fish and seafood. The menu also includes kids meals and options for vegetarians. A stay is not complete without sampling our cook’s Sri Lankan specialities. His rice and curry is a fabulous feast comprising a selection of vegetable curries, a fish or chicken curry and piping hot pappadams. Or ask the cook to grill up the ‘catch of the day’, bought fresh from the local fishermen, and enjoy a succulent seafood barbecue under the stars.
A continental or local breakfast is included in the rate, and provisions for all other meals and drinks are charged at cost with a small charge for transport. Guests will be requested to provide grocery money in advance, and the staff will do the shopping and keep receipts for reference. To make the most of the kitchen and give staff time to shop, it is a good idea to plan meals the evening before. View a sample menu
We spent four days here. Although short, but impressive. Here we spend the Chinese New Year. Here we feel the charming scenery, here we eat authentic food of Sri Lanka, here we feel warm and hospitable of the staff. We are a family of eight, everyone of us is happy. I hope to come back again.02-Feb-2019 - 06-Feb-2019 LI Y
What a magical place! We have loved every moment - by the beach, in the pool, eating fantastic curry in the house, seeing a turtle lay her eggs on the beach and visit rock temples. Pure bliss.07-Apr-2016 - 12-Apr-2016 Laura D
Absolutely perfect and staff was a pure miracle. We had the best 10 days of the year. If a bad point had to be said it is the 4 to 5 hours car transfer from Colombo airport... very long. I recommend Helicopter (but they don't fly after 5PM).24-Dec-2014 - 03-Jan-2015 Pablo D
We had a very relaxing couple of days. It was exactly what we expected, beautiful beach but remote. Thamal was excellent. For us the right level of attentiveness but we know others may expect staff to be more proactive.19-Oct-2014 - 21-Oct-2014 Sally M
We had a perfect stay. The staff were amazing and couldnt do enough for us.Any problems we encountered (we had one bedroom with broken air conditioning unit) were dealt with very quickly26-Jul-2014 - 01-Aug-2014 Liz Sochon
Villa was really lovely and in a fabulous setting looking out onto the beach which was idyllic. Staff very friendly and helpful they organised all our trips for us very efficiently. The cook did a wonderful job feeding us all. For a nice relaxing holiday would highly recommend the villa28-Dec-2012 - 11-Jan-2013 Mary Hamilton
Close to the beach, very private and extended with nobody.Pool sheltered from the wind. Possible to buy lobsters and fish directly to the fishers (less than 500 meters from the villa). Very attentive staff. Excellent follow up of our requests from VillaNovo.04-Aug-2012 - 18-Aug-2012 CC
This villa is magnificent. It is situated on a paradisiac and deserted beach). The staff is very attentive to our demands(requests), very discreet but always available. All the meals were delicious.30-Oct-2011 - 04-Nov-2011 corinne michard
United Arab Emirates