Bendega Nui presides grandly over the luxuriant rice terraces of Canggu, only minutes from a fabulous surf beach and an eclectic choice of restaurants, cafés and local warungs. With five generous bedroom suites spread between a series of pavilions set in tropical gardens of almost an acre, this is a stunning villa for holidaying families and groups of friends who will appreciate the abundant indoor and outdoor spaces and the many entertainment options.
Acclaimed international architect Glenn Parker was consulted on the villa's design, which is a modern take on traditional Balinese architecture and spells luxury in every detail. Indonesian hardwood floors, Indian sandstone and Italian travertine provide the canvas for stunning antiques, artefacts and textiles from across the archipelago, such as the glass-topped canoe serving as a statement buffet table that references the villa's name ('bendega' means fisherman in Balinese). Everything is sized for sociability and comfort, from the huge sofas in the living room and the dining table that seats 20, to the alfresco river-rock bathtub adjoining the fifth bedroom where two can soak with room to spare. The proportions of the double-height living room find a match in the generously sized bedroom suites – all with supremely comfortable beds, unique colour-coordinated decor and rice-field or private garden views.
Villa Bendega Nui's extensive facilities offer plenty to keep guests as busy as they wish to be. In addition to the large swimming pool, there's a games room with pool table and a library with 50-inch TV. With an exceptional chef among the polished 17-strong staff (shared with Bendega Rato) and an extensive suggestion menu to choose from, dining in is an enticing option despite the many excellent restaurants within walking distance.
If additional space is required, two more guests can be accommodated in considerable luxury in an optional master suite, which is linked to Bendega Nui via a garden gateway, and has its own private plunge pool and bale. For even larger groups, the neighbouring three-bedroom Bendega Rato can be added too, giving a total of nine bedrooms. See Bendega Villas' website for details.
- Open-fronted sitting room with a pair of large, comfortable sofas facing the garden
- Air-conditioned dining room with Merbau-wood dining table seating up to 20
- Superbly equipped kitchen with Jura Impressa coffee machines, two fridges, and extra-large oven
- Air-conditioned TV room with 50-inch plasma TV, DVD player, book and DVD libraries
- Adjoining air-conditioned games room with full-size pool table and selection of games
- Sonos digital music system with individual programming zones both indoors and out (remotely controlled from anywhere in the villa)
- Big breezy pool pavilion with giant L-shaped daybed, circular dining table for 10, waterproof poolside beanbags, kitchenette and guest changing room
- Stone-lined 11m x 11m infinity pool with wide shallow shelf and sun deck furnished with loungers and sunshades
- Extensive tropical gardens laid out in a series of courtyards with koi ponds and lawns, dotted with frangipani, oil palms and African tulip trees
- Relaxation/reading bale perched over a koi pond, with comfortable daybed and floor cushions
- The first master bedroom occupies a stand-alone pavilion in the gardens next to the swimming pool and features a private balcony overlooking the rice fields
- Two more spacious master bedrooms are located upstairs in the main building, with French doors leading to balconies with stunning rice-terrace and (from one bathroom) ocean views
- All three rooms have luxury four-poster king-size beds draped in mosquito netting, are tastefully furnished with ikat weavings and Asian artefacts and equipped with iPod docks
- All have huge bathrooms with sunken double bathtubs, double basins on travertine vanities, and walk-in rain showers
- Adjoining one upstairs master is a study equipped with laptop computer and printer for guest use
TWO TWIN BEDROOMS
- Both twin bedrooms at Bendega Nui can be converted to king-bedded rooms on request
- One upstairs twin with doors to rice-field-view balcony, 37-inch TV, iPod dock and ensuite bathroom with twin basins and spacious walk-in shower
- One ground-floor twin in private pavilion with sitting area, garden views and huge river-rock tub ‘floating’ at the centre of a fishpond in the room’s generous ensuite bathroom
OPTIONAL ONE-BEDROOM PAVILION
- Private suite set in a walled garden with plunge pool, sun deck and poolside bale
- Four-poster king bed under a vaulted roof
- iPod dock, TV with DVD player, and minibar
- Magnificent garden bathroom with walk-in rain shower, twin basins and large river-rock tub for two
- Traditional Balinese entrances connect the suite to Bendega Nui (and the three-bedroom Bendega Rato)
Bendega is Balinese for fisherman, a fitting name for this villa, which sits in a sea of rice terraces on the perimeter of the small traditional fishing village of Nelayan in Bali’s popular Canggu district. A five-minute walk down a quiet road will bring you to the stunning black-sands of Pantai Nelayan (a wonderful beach for walking and surfing but not safe for swimming), and a short stroll along the sands from here is the Tugu Hotel, an atmospheric boutique hotel-museum stacked with antiques and a ‘must visit’ during your stay. Many interesting cafés, bars and restaurants are springing up throughout this part of Canggu – several within easy walking distance of the villa.
PLACES OF INTEREST:
Chat with us online
JESSICA A, HONG KONG