Asia’s grandest heritage hotels of the 1930s provide the strongest design influence for Villa Batavia, an enchanting five-bedroom villa (which can also be rented as a four), an easy stroll from Seminyak beach on Bali’s southwestern shore. Securely set in the Laksmana Estate among some of the island’s most prestigious villas, Villa Batavia – the Dutch-era name for Jakarta – dazzles with its stunning colonial-style architecture. Expanses of chequerboard marble and granite floors, colonnaded verandahs, high ceilings and towering shuttered windows, brightly coloured oriental carpets on polished teakwood floors, plantation chairs and rattan furniture all evoke the romance of grand travel…brought bang up to date with such high-tech treasures as Sonos sound system with Bose speakers, home theatre, high-speed WiFi, and HD TVs, DVD players and iPod docks in every room. And with deep shaded verandahs and air-conditioning even in the bathrooms, it’s a breeze to keep cool.
Increasing the sense of privilege, charming staff in crisp, gold-trimmed uniforms provide round-the-clock attention – serving an espresso and the morning paper perhaps, afternoon tea on the verandah with an heirloom silver tea set, or a Singapore Sling at sunset in the treetop-level bar. Two chefs are on hand to prepare gourmet dishes from a reasonably priced menu, elegantly served with fine bone china and silver-plated cutlery under an antique Javanese candelabra and complemented by fine wines and post-prandial brandy and cigars.
Villa Batavia delivers all the privileges of luxury living yet with the level of attention and privacy you simply can’t experience even in a five-star hotel. With such pampering, there may be little reason to leave the confines of the villa. But it’s reassuring to know that you’re in the heart of chic Seminyak, and that a hop and skip away is a sublime choice of world-renowned bars, restaurants, boutiques and spas as well as Bali’s famed sunset beach.
- Gorgeous interiors reminiscent of Asia's grand hotels of the 1930s such as Raffles Singapore
- All rooms graced with a beautifully curated collection of old prints, maps, engravings, and postcards as well as ceramic and silver heritage treasures
- Large open-sided reception room opening onto the pool, with striking black and white checked floor of marble and granite
- Open-plan second level living and dining room with the option of air-conditioning or ceiling fan, table for 10 under a grand Javanese chandelier and large leather - sofas gathered around an antique cabinet with flatscreen TV and surround-sound home theatre
- Professional kitchen out of sight behind dining area
- Centralised Sonos music system
- Second level open-sided fan-cooled bar and lounge with bar chairs at curved teakwood counter for sunset cocktails, cosy seating area and iMac computer for guest use
- Other seating areas in the colonnaded corridors linking the pavilions
- 16m x 6m swimming pool with soft-on-skin salt filtration system, waterfalls and children's wading section
- Poolside garden bale with table for 6
- Two separate poolside sun terraces with loungers and parasols
- Shaded terraces on both floors of the accommodation wing, with comfortable seating
TWO MASTER SUITES
- There's a master suite on each level of the the Master Wing
- Each has a bedroom with kingsize bed and large walk-through dressing area
- Upstairs master has an adjoining study room with single bed/couch
- Both rooms have TV, DVD player, iPod dock, and stocked mini-bar fridge
- Huge air-conditioned bathrooms with statement copper bathtub and walk-in rainshower with non-slip marble floors (plus a garden shower for the downstairs master)
- The upper master has a teakwood verandah with private breakfast and relaxation areas and cane planters chairs with stools for supine relaxation
- The downstairs master has a verandah with black-and-white check floor where planters chairs and coffee tables face the garden
- Well placed for families, next to ground level master suite the twin-bedded room has an air-conditioned bathroom and private garden view
TWO GUEST SUITES
- Two guest suites face the swimming pool from the ground level of the living wing
- Four-poster queen-sized beds and walk-through dressing areas
- Air-conditioned ensuite bathrooms, one with statement stained glass window, the other with a second outdoor shower. With twin pedestal basins and walk-in shower enclosures with non-slip marble floors
- Shared verandah spills onto the poolside terrace
Villa Batavia rests within Seminyak’s ‘Golden Triangle’ in the Laksmana enclave – a prestigious residential boulevard moments from Petitenget Beach. A short stroll away are some of Bali’s most iconic bars and restaurants, including Ku Dé Ta, Potato Head, La Lucciola and Breeze at The Samaya. Also within easy walking distance are designer boutiques, glamorous spas, lifestyle shops and gourmet delis. Nearby places of interest include Pura Petitenget, one of Bali’s most sacred Hindu temples and the site of some spectacular Balinese ceremonies.
Villa Batavia offers easy access to the mountains and rice terraces on Bali’s western slopes; it is one hour from the famous cultural and artistic town of Ubud, and just five minutes from the start of the Sunset Route, gateway to the eastern side of the island. The nearby Nirwana Bali Golf Course’ designed by Greg Norman was voted the number one golf course in Asia and lies beside the dramatic, waved-lashed sea temple of Tanah Lot.
PLACES OF INTEREST:
Chat with us online
CAROLYN M, AUSTRALIA