Villa Bali Bali is a trio of residences set in extensive gardens fronting rice fields in Umalas, just north of Seminyak on Bali’s south-western coast. An architectural tour de force and a unique expression of contemporary Bali style, these villas are among the most recognisable on the island.
Villa Bali Bali 1’s dramatically pitched roofs ofironwood shingle, split levels, and strongly angled walls sculpt this three-bedroom residence into interesting and unusual living spaces, and create intimate corners. Strong, clean lines, a simple palette of ivory and grey, and an interplay of polished teakwood, Palimanan and lava stone create contemporary interiors that flow seamlessly into the surrounding landscape.
Softening the angular geometry of the main house, the huge lawn of silky soft Japanese grass, unfurls towards the half-moon swimming pool with sun-trap terrace and shaded balé. Stately Travellers Palms, fragrant frangipani and Parrot’s Beak heliconia bring birds and butterflies to the garden, and rice terraces can be glimpsed beyond the bougainvillea perimeter hedge. At night the villa is romantic, intimate and utterly alluring, and the only sounds in the fragrant night air are the songs of cicadas.
Bali Bali 1 and 2 can each be rented independently or with Bali Bali Cottage. There’s also the option of renting all three villas as one unit, which will suit larger groups of up to 14 who want to get together socially but also have their privacy. Check at http://www.thebalibaliestate.com/.
Villa Bali Bali’s long-serving staff will happily shop and cook up a storm for you – you only pay the cost of provisions and petrol – so there’s nothing to do but relax and enjoy this Umalas haven. And the icing on the cake? Metis, Sarong, La Lucciola and many other famed Seminyak restaurants are just a 15-minute drive away.
Villa Bali Bali truly delivers a double dose of designer living!
- Living room opening onto the garden, with teak floors, sloping roof, built-in cushioned sofas and rustic coffee tables
- Semi-open air dining room with pebble rock floor and eight-seater dining table
- Open mezzanine entertainment lounge with 21-inch Satellite TV/DVD player and sound system
- Antique artefacts throughout the villa
- Self-contained kitchen with black granite counters, teak cabinets and modern appliances
- Half moon 15 x 5m swimming pool
- Pool deck furnished with sun beds and bale (pavilion)
- Gently sloping lawns
- Beautifully manicured gardens planted with travellers palms, sweet scented frangipani and bougainvillea
- Split level with four steps leading up to the sleeping area
- Four-poster king-size bed draped in netting
- Ethnic textile wall hangings
- Glass doors leading to private garden
- Air conditioned
- Private semi open-air ensuite bathroom with circular Jacuzzi tub and walk-in shower.
- King-size four-poster bed with netting
- Decorated with Lombok pottery lamps
- Air conditioned
- Built-in wardrobe
- Shared semi open-air ensuite bathroom with walk-in shower and twin vanities
- Slightly smaller than the other two bedrooms
- Four-poster king-size bed
- Air conditioned
- Built-in wardrobes
- Shared semi open-air ensuite bathroom (with bedroom two) with walk-in shower and twin vanities
Villa Bali Bali is located in a quiet residential area between the traditional villages of Umalas and Banjar Semer on Bali’s south-west coast. It’s set well off the road down a private drive lined with tall palms, and faces rice terraces across the garden. There are a few small cafés within walking distance, and many more a kilometre to the north in Canggu. Bali’s finest restaurants such as Metis, Sarong, Sardine and La Lucciola are just six kilometres to the south in chic Seminyak – a 15-minute drive away.
PLACES OF INTEREST:
Chat with us online
BRITT S, NEW ZEALAND